Friday, December 4, 2009

Bless this home

I posted this picture on the Cricut Message Boards yesterday and am now running late to take my kids to school- but I wanted to put it up here before my Friday gets insane with Shabbat prep!

I went away for a Shabbat to someones home a few weeks ago and I wanted to make them a gift I hoped they would enjoy. I did not know what colors were in their home or their style (I later found out that this was NOT their style, and she gave the gift to her daughter who loves the colors I made it in. Which makes me happy that someone is enjoying it.)

In Hebrew the words say "Brachos HaByim" that translates to "Bless This Home". It is a traditional Jewish Art piece. I am putting the "recipe" below the picture. Please let me know what you think of it!





I took a 9x9 frame from Ikea (they have funny sizes there but I LOVE their frames) and I took out the 4x4 matting. I cut the pattern paper (from K and Co I think) to 7x7 and took some card stock from a pack of Recollections Card Stock (from Michael's, not the best quality but I like the colors a lot) I cut the letters from SCAL (because Provo Craft does not have much Jewish Content AT ALL) in the same deep red as the matting and did the Shadow in Silver. I then used Story Book to cut out the two corners. I did them in white and embossed them in gold to give them a gate effect. I put them over the letters to give the sence of protection of the home.
The boarder in the center is also from Story Book. I used the fit the length feature and cut it in white. I then inked it in red and put clear embossing powder over it to give it the same effect as the "gates". Thats it. It actually took very little time once I figured out my color combonation. I think it was nap time and I had time to myself.

I am almost sorry I gave this away, I think I am going to make one for my house soon.

I hope you enjoy!!!!!

12 comments:

  1. What a great idea! There is very little out there for Chanukah etc. It is such a shame since there are so many different opportunities, holidays etc. to for Jewish related crafts. I look forward to seeing other projects and I hope to create some of my own to share.
    EllaB

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful. Where did you get the Hebrew font to cut? Did you cut it on the Cricut? I just love it and would like to put some wall words up in vinyl in Hebrew.
    Thanks,
    Rosa Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rose Ann-

    So sorry it took me so long to get back to you! I did cut this on my Cricut- I used SCAL and a generic Hebrew font I found online. What are you interested in putting on your walls? I am so interested!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rachel,
    I am having trouble getting SCAL to find the Hebrew letters in installed fonts. Would you mind sharing which font you downloaded and how you got SCAL to find them.
    I am working on a great girl scout project making Apple and honey plates using etched glass (trying to cut l'shanah tovah in Hebrew on Cricut), but no luck in getting the Hebrew fonts to show in SCAL. I download the font and then see regular English letters. Thans much, Josephine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Josephine,

    Give me a few hours and I will get back to you on that. I can actually email you the font I used. Only one of the hebrew fonts on my mac actually works in SCAL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi. I have not yet bought a Cricut but really want to. Doing things with Hebrew is one of my main interests. Could you please share some advice with me on picking one out. (Costco has one that can be used for cake decor but i cant seem to figure out if it can be used for other things too?) I am a busy mom of 5 and dont have a ton of patience for figuring out new things. How complex is this pasttime? Thank you for any help or advice you can offer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tami!

    I can not believe you found my blog! I have not been able to focus on it in so so long. I am thinking of paying more attention to it again and since I have been getting comments lately I think I might do that.

    I can give you all sorts of info on Cricut stuff. I am by no means an expert but I can help you as much as I can.

    I would not recommend getting the Cricut Cake- its basically the same as the Expression but is made food safe for Fondant. I would go online and find a good price for an expression. I would say $250 is a good area to look for in price. However if may go way down within the next few weeks because the Cricut Imagine just came out.
    To be able to cut in Hebrew you need to buy a seperate computer program. You can buy Sure Cuts A Lot (SCAL) or Make The Cut (MTC) I have SCAL because MTC was not out yet when I got it so I can not tell you which is better. You use Hebrew fonts you have on your computer or that you download. Provo Craft does not make anything Jewish at all so you have to use outside programs for Jewish content.

    I had two kids under two at home when I started crafting. It takes as much or as little time as you have to put into it. Messing around with the computer program takes a little more time then using the Cricut itself, that is VERY VERY easy. You can take crafting to whatever level of complexity you want. There are basic levels and more advanced. I work full time, with a long commute so I only get to craft a few hours a week if I am lucky, but its really whatever you want to put into it. You can email me if you want to talk more about this!
    rpkrich at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just stumbled upon your blog! I love it, hope you write more!

    I have the cricut expression ($188 price match at Michaels on Black Friday!)

    I don't have SCAL, and would LOVE to do more with my cricut (beyond custom party decor for my daughters b'day!)

    Any tutorial sites you recommend?

    Thanks so much and keep it up!

    I'm NY based (Long Island) think there'd be interest in a jewish-themed craft night (just a few people getting together, nothing over the top!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Shelly!
    I am so glad you found the blog! I am thinking of focusing on it again. I started a new position last January and have not been able to keep it up much. But now that things are calmer I might be able to.

    I would love to talk NY Jewish crafting with you more! Want to email me? I think my blog profile has my email address. I will think up some good tutorials for you. Do you know MyPinkStamper.com ? She is great. Lets talk more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Rachel - I just found your blog. I'm a Jewish crafter in NJ too. Bought a cricut a few months ago but haven't played with it yet. What is SCAL? I would love to be able to cut Hebrew letters and find more Judaica for scrapping and crafting. Any ideas you have would be great.
    Thanks,
    Ilene

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rachel,
    I would like to discuss how you use your cricut for hebrew letters. How can I contact you? Thanks. Mindi

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mindi- you can email me at rpkrich@gmail.com.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Visits to my blog